21 October 2013

murky waters

new work by sarah j stanley
sept 2013
the briggait
glasgow


artists statement

my current work retains strong elements of drawing and painting alongside a varied set of mediums and art pieces, creating a delicate formal balance of mark and imagery as well as employing text and invention. often I display tendencies towards the satirical, and steering away from irony and it's other shallow counterparts, I take the proverbial piss with sobriety. I work with space, context, depth and all the other basic things fine artists consider day to day. I like to disband the semiotic and symbolic, making sure the viewer can experience some sense of disciplined wit. the, readily unspoken, fiction-like, but tediously honest nature of my work, I hope, leaves it capable enough to describe itself earnestly within quips of discerning visual banter and with the integrity of a studious prankster












limited edition prints, edition of 13, available at preview






























also, something weird happened. I had to censor two pieces after complaints they were of an offensive nature. bullshit huh? it's a long story but if you want to see a piece of work I made in response to this experience go HERE